“I own a small business. I can’t afford branding. And I don’t need it anyway.”
That sentence above is a myth out in the business community, one that I’m hoping you don’t buy into. When a business owner says something like that, a big part of me wants to ask:
“And how will anyone recognize your business-since there’s no identity to help them remember you?”
Here’s the bad news:
Every business needs visual branding. No matter what size your business may be, you need to have some kind of “face” that your clients/customers can recognize. And just to be clear: investing in the visual brand for your business isn’t an exercise in vanity. Nor is it something to be left for “when you’re making a lot of money.”
Hiring someone like me to design your visual brand IS an investment. And the reason you should do that is simply this:
To get your business recognized and in front of your ideal client.
It works something like this:
- Your business card introduces you to people. It has a certain “look,” features your logo, and probably points people to your website and Facebook page
- Once someone visits your website, they recognize that same “look” + colours from your business card. And your name starts to stick in their mind
- Then perhaps they visit your Facebook and Twitter pages…and yes, they identify that same logo, tagline and colours. By now they’re starting to remember your name and what you do.
- One day they see your company vehicle in the next lane. Now they recognize your business. And now they know what you do and how to find you (that easy to remember website URL came in handy!)
Soon enough they are looking for just the service you happen to sell. And guess what. YOUR name pops up in their mind. Not your competitors’. And next thing you know, there’s a chance you have a new client.
The above example is obviously very simplified, but it is not far from the truth. It’s interesting the number of times I run into people who say they “know me” or they’ve “seen me” even though we’ve never met. And I do the same:
- I’ve seen someone’s face pop up in a Facebook group and I remember her helpful, timely comments
- I’ve seen a number of her tweets, some of which made me laugh.
- And then we happen to be getting a bite at the same networking event.
Suddenly it’s like “I know her.” And I want to hear all about her business.
The same should happen to your business. I want the same for your business. A business that has a consistent, cohesive visual brand is much easier to recognize and remember, specially since we are all already very busy and easily distracted.
As far as I know, the goal of a business is to bring in clients. Now, I’m not saying that having a professionally designed visual brand is a guarantee of potential clients beating down your door. But it DOES open that door. And it is yet another step we can all take in helping our businesses get known and get ahead. So am I going to do that for my own business? You bet. I’m going to give my business every chance to stand out and be recognized.
If YOUR business is in need of a visual brand update–or more visibility– let’s chat. All you have to do is email me to book some time.
I wish you a happy February,